Trump scrambles to save Chinese phone company hurt by his export ban
President Trump said in a Tweet on Sunday that he has ordered the Commerce Department to “get it done” and help a Chinese telecommunications company after the US slapped it with an export ban.
“President Xi of China, and I, are working together to give massive Chinese phone company, ZTE, a way to get back into business, fast,” the president wrote on his account. “Too many jobs in China lost. Commerce Department has been instructed to get it done! ”
Washington last month banned US companies from doing business with ZTE, the fourth-largest mobile phone provider in the United States, for seven years because it violated sanctions against North Korea and Iran.
The company, which relies heavily on imports of components made in the United States and has about 75,000 workers, appealed the order to the Commerce Department, arguing that the ban could force it out of business.
The telecom firm said it had shut down “the major operating activities of the company.”
Source: Read Full Article