UK weather – how to find out whether YOUR road will be gritted as snow carpets Britain

Forecasters have issued yellow weather warnings which tell of a threat to motorists on the roads.

Snow drifts, low visibility and ice all pose a risk to motorists – both in terms of safety and journey times.

In their latest UK weather forecast, the Met Office issued warnings for snow and ice across the eastern half of Britain as well as the South of England and Wales.

It warned of:

  • Possible travel delays on roads stranding some vehicles and passengers.
  • A chance of injuries from slips and falls on icy surfaces
  • Untreated pavements and cycle paths becoming impassable because of black ice

How do I find out if my road has been gritted?

So it is important for drivers to know if their roads have been gritted before setting off to face the frigid onslaught.

Thankfully, most local councils give information on which roads they have treated.

Councils are responsible for looking after local roads in their area or borough – just click here to find out whether your road will be visited.

Meanwhile, Highways Agencies are in charge of gritting motorways and major A-roads.

Even then, many councils will keep residents up to date with which roads have been treated – whether they are major or minor thoroughfares.

Councils tend to prioritise the busiest roads as they service the most people – and therefore cause the most disruption when they are blocked by snow or made dangerous by ice.

What is the website to check if my road has been gritted?

If you live in England or Wales, you can check whether your road has been gritted with one handy website.

The government has a page, "Find out which roads your council will grit", which has a simple search function.

Simply type in your postcode and the site will match you up with the relevant page on your local council's website.

If you life in Scotland or Northern Ireland, you can go straight to your local council website where information should be available.

If not, feel free to call up your council and they should be able to assist you.

Source: Read Full Article