Woman who lived near Wuhan lab diagnosed with virus weeks before first case
A government blunder in China may have revealed one of the first people to be infected with coronavirus – three weeks before the country declared its first case.
A leading Chinese official sent a screen-grab sent to a Chinese medical journal containing the details of a 61-year-old woman known as "Patient Su".
It shows she had the virus in Wuhan almost three weeks before Bejing confirmed they had the first case.
The woman is believed to have lived about a mile from one of the city’s main coronavirus research labs.
She was also close to a stop for the high-speed rail line that played a key role in spreading the virus around the city of 11 million people, the Mail on Sunday reports.
Patient Su was treated at Rongjun Hospital, Wuhan.
The area where she lived and was treated is more than 13 miles from the Huanan market, which was originally blamed for the virus.
The area was rapidly cleaned up after Taiwan notified the World Health Organisation about the breakout.
Professor Yu Chuanhua, professor of biostatistics at Wuhan University, told Health Times that he had 47,000 cases on his national database of confirmed and suspected cases by late February 2020.
Prince William 'greatly concerned' that Harry's 'truth bombs' will damage royals
Yu had done an interview with Health Times before President Xi Jinping issued a code of silence on the virus as they tried to regain control of the situation.
The professor then called the journalist to retract the information as the 'dates had been recorded wrong.'
Get latest news headlines delivered free
Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?
We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.
Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.
You can sign up here – you won't regret it…
The Chairman of the Common’s Foreign Affairs Committee has since urged China to make all of its documents public.
Tom Tugendhat MP said: "The time has come for China to open up all its files so the world can find the truth about the origins of this pandemic.
"We cannot protect against future risks if there is not recognition that we all need to share knowledge and learn from any mistakes."
Source: Read Full Article