A grenade blew up in a family's kitchen sink after a mum and daughter took home what they thought was a fossil.
Jodie Crews, 38, and eight-year-old Isabella have given up looking for washed-up treasure on their local beach at Deal, Kent after their latest find burst into flames.
Mum and adult carer, Jodie shared photos of the grenade on fossil and archaeology sites only to be told by one user that it could be whale vomit.
Jodie, 38, said: "I posted photos on fossil and archaeology sites and had lots of replies but no one suggested it could be a grenade. One woman thought it looked like whale vomit and said I could find out by poking it with a hot pin.
"She said a puff of white smoke would come out."
Abandoned Camelot theme park demolished after 'creepy' attraction fell into disrepair
But after resting it in the dining room art home, Jodie said the object suddenly caught fire when she took the advice given online and poked it with a pin.
Jodie said: "It just turned into a fireball. My daughter screamed and ran out the back door.
"I grabbed the grenade and ran with it at arms' length into the kitchen where I hurled it into the sink."
She went on: "I then rushed upstairs to soak a towel to throw over it to put it out. The adrenalin must have kicked in and taken over.
"My first thought was to save my daughter, house, cats and dogs.
"With my daughter safely in the garden I ran back upstairs to get the cats – we have four three-week-old kittens – and rounded up our two dogs, Teegan a border collie and Lulu a Pomeranian."
Hearing the disaster, neighbours called the fire brigade who found the burnt-out Second World War grenade in the sink after it filled the house with smoke and melted part of the plastic windowsill.
She added: "Isabella had been asking for a metal detector for Christmas. I think she might end up with a Nintendo Switch instead after this incident. It will be safer."
"All my friends have made me promise not to pick anything up from the beach again."
Source: Read Full Article