Young dad crushed to death by huge magnet at recycling plant

A dad was crushed to death by a huge shredding machine magnet at a recycling plant.

Martin Kane was killed while cleaning the machine at Enva Scotland Limited in Linwood, Scotland when the tragedy happened, the Daily Record reports.

Paisley Sheriff Court heard the death was "entirely preventable" as he was described as "popular, conscientious and capable".

Mr Kane and a colleague had not been trained in how to clean the hired machine before being tasked with ensuring it was spotless before returning it to the firm that owned it.

His mum and aunt were granted special permission to attend the hearing, with members of the public banned from court due to the coronavirus pandemic.

  • Daily Star's newsletter brings you the biggest and best stories – sign up today

They were overcome with emotion as his tragic final moments were described while Enva admitted its role in his death on March 28, 2018.

The firm pleaded guilty to a single charge of failing "to ensure the health, safety and welfare at work" of its employees, in breach of Section 2(1) and Section 33(1)(a) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act of 1974.

This charge stated the firm "did fail to ensure that all persons engaged in the tasks of cleaning and using a Terex TDS 820 tracked mobile shredder had received adequate training, information and instruction on the deployment of an overhead magnet fitted to" the machine, leading to Mr Kane's death.

Mr Kane and his colleague tried to dislodge waste that had become trapped in the machine.

The magnet fell on Mr Kane, trapping him underneath.

Willie Duffy, prosecuting, said: "The company did not hold the manual for the machine.

"This led to Mr Kane adopting an unsafe system of work. These circumstances were entirely preventable."

Barry Smith QC, representing Enva Scotland Limited, said: "They wish me on their behalf to formally record their regret that this accident resulted in such tragic consequences.

"He was a well-liked and well-regarded colleague."

Smith went on: "He was a safety-conscious individual and would not take risks with himself or his colleagues' safety."

A spokesman for Enva said: "This matter is subject to an ongoing legal process and therefore it would be inappropriate to make any further comment at this time."

Source: Read Full Article