Young girl burns hand on busted pipe in NYCHA apartment

An 8-year-old girl was burned when a pipe in her Queens NYCHA apartment spewed scalding steam on her hand — and then hospitalized Saturday when she took a bad fall after slipping on the water that coated the floor, her mom told The Post.

The pipe burst in the Queensbridge Houses on Vernon Boulevard in Long Island City around 1:20 p.m. — hours after Nefertari Stewart called NYCHA maintenance to report that a bathroom pipe was leaking hot water, she said.

Her daughter, Azure, happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

“The bathroom blew up and steam started pouring out,” Nefertari said. “You can see the steam. We walked inside — she went first, and that’s how her hand got burned. The steam burnt her.”

As the water poured into the living room, the frantic mom called maintenance again, but no one showed up for three hours.

“My feet are soggy,” Azure said.

So wet, that she slipped and fell moments before the Post left the apartment. She was taken in an ambulance to Mount Sinai-Queens.

Adding insult to injury , the water ruined Azure’s brand-new $200 Barbie dream house. It was in the living room sitting in water.

“She just got it in December,” Stewart said. “It was her Christmas gift. She wanted it so bad. I saved up for that thing — couldn’t afford it for two years. But they don’t care. She was sobbing uncontrollably.”

Meanwhile, NYCHA workers desperately tried to vacuum up the water, and repair the broken pipe.

The agency did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Source: Read Full Article