Nuneaton hazmat incident: Man rushed to hospital after inhaling hazardous gas with 'funny smell' at Santander bank | The Sun

A MAN has been rushed to hospital after reports of a hazardous substance was found at a bank.

Emergency services scrambled to the Santander bank in in Nuneaton, Warwickshire, before cordoning off the surrounding area.

Ten people complained of feeling unwell after inhaling gas, the fire service said.

Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service described the situation as a "minor hazmat" incident.

It said staff had arrived to find the "presence of hazardous gas and an unpleasant smell throughout" the three-storey building on Newdegate Street.

Firefighters remain ventilating the building while ambulance crews wait on standby outside the bank.

The Ambulance Service said the man was taken to George Eliot Hospital in a stable condition.

The remaining nine patients, six women and three men, were assessed and discharged at the scene.

Cops confirmed that officers have been sent to the scene to support fire colleagues, who are leading the response to the incident.

West Midlands Ambulance Service said: "We were called to reports of people feeling unwell on Newdegate Street at 12.26pm.

Most read in The Sun


My wife kept me prisoner while she had an affair – but that wasn't the worst part


Moment boy runs from Notting Hill Carnival with machete after eight stabbed


ULEZ chaos as cameras destroyed & councils refuse to let Khan put up signs


The swingers' club is my new paradise – it beats my stale marriage

"We currently have three ambulances, a paramedic officer and the Trust’s Hazardous Area Response Team at the scene and are assessing a number of patients."

A Santander spokesperson said: "During routine works at our Nuneaton branch earlier today a potential safety issue was detected and as a precaution the branch was closed.

"We are sorry for any inconvenience this causes our customers."

Source: Read Full Article