Luton's match against Bournemouth is set to be replayed in FULL

Luton’s match against Bournemouth is set to be replayed in FULL after it was abandoned at 65 minutes following the collapse of Tom Lockyer on the pitch

  • Luton’s Premier League match with Bournemouth was abandoned on Saturday
  • Luton captain Tom Lockyer collapsed on the pitch – but he is now ‘stable’
  • Premier League Rule L15 states that any match abandoned with the consent of the referee will be replayed
  • WARNING: Article contains distressing images 

Luton’s Premier League game with Bournemouth is set to be replayed in its entirety following the abandonment caused by Tom Lockyer’s collapse at the Vitality Stadium on Saturday. 

Premier League Rule L15 states that any match abandoned with the consent of the referee will be replayed, with a date and kick-off time to be arranged by the top-flight’s Board.

Luton and Bournemouth’s players were taken off midway through the second half with Lockyer receiving medical treatment after collapsing off the ball. 

Referee Simon Hooper confirmed the game was being abandoned soon afterwards following talks with both clubs, after which the players returned to the pitch to applaud the supporters, who were chanting Lockyer’s name.

The Premier League issued a statement shortly afterwards saying ‘Our thoughts are with Tom Lockyer and all players involved in today’s match.’ 


Medical staff from both clubs and paramedics worked together after Tom Lockyer’s collapse 

Bournemouth and Luton players were taken off the pitch by match referee Simon Hooper

After confirmation the match was abandoned, both sets of players showed fans their appreciation by walking around the pitch. The match now looks set to be replayed in full

Your browser does not support iframes.

Premier League sources insist that their priority at present is the health of the player, but Mail Sport has been told that the competitions rules are clear and they are expect to stick to the protocol set out in their handbook.

On Saturday, a minute after Bournemouth had equalised in the second half, the Luton captain collapsed in his own half, while the play was going on in the other half. 

It was soon announced that Lockyer was in a ‘stable’ condition in hospital after suffering a cardiac arrest, with the match abandoned as both sets of players were ‘in no state of mind to continue.’

It was an incredibly distressing scene for those at the Vitality Stadium as Lockyer went down with nobody around him.

A visibly distraught Luton Town manager Rob Edwards following the distressing incident 

A Luton fan in the away end of the Vitality Stadium is caught up in the emotion of the moment

Luton manager Rob Edwards immediately ran on to the pitch, with both sets of players visibly distressed as paramedics and medical staff from both sides attended to Lockyer on the pitch.

The 29-year-old was ‘responsive’ as he was carried off on a stretcher 10 minutes later to applause from around the ground.

It is the second time this year that Lockyer has collapsed during a game. In May, he was taken to the hospital during Luton’s Championship play-off final win against Coventry but after heart surgery, he was given the ‘all clear’ to return to action in June. 

Lockyer’s dad, Steve, posted an Instagram picture that day of his family celebrating Luton’s promotion to the Premier League from his hospital ward.  

Lockyer collapsed on the Wembley pitch during the Championship play-off final in May

Lockyer, seen being taken off the pitch at Wembley by stretcher, required heart surgery

Lockyer’s dad Steve posted this picture of his family celebrating Luton’s Premier League promotion after his collapse on the Wembley pitch in May 

After Luton defeated Coventry, they held up a Lockyer 4 shirt in honour of their team-mate


It’s All Kicking Off is an exciting new podcast from Mail Sport that promises a different take on Premier League football, launching with a preview show today and every week this season.

It is available on MailOnline, Mail+, YouTube , Apple Music and Spotify

Your browser does not support iframes.

A statement from Luton confirmed Lockyer was responsive and has been taken to hospital, adding players and staff were in ‘no state of mind’ to continue the match.

It read: ‘Our medical staff have confirmed that the Hatters captain suffered cardiac arrest on the pitch, but was responsive by the time he was taken off on the stretcher.

‘He received further treatment inside the stadium, for which we once again thank the medical teams from both sides.

‘Tom was transferred to hospital, where we can reassure supporters that he is stable and currently undergoing further tests with his family at his bedside.

‘We would like to thank everyone for their support, concern and loving messages for Locks.’

Source: Read Full Article